Tomorrow I am 32 weeks pregnant. Only 8 weeks and 1 day until my due date! In some ways, this pregnancy has gone by fast (thankfully), in other ways, it seems like I will be pregnant FOREVER.
Here is what is going on:
*I am STILL sick. Maybe because its a girl? I don't know. With Jared it seemed like the sickness was more intense, but it was gone by 28 weeks. Maybe this time I knew better how to manage it in the beginning so it didn't seem as bad, but I was actually sicker and that is why I am still sick. I take a full Unisom at night and that keeps food down, but I never feel like eating and nothing ever looks good. I definitely do NOT have pregnancy cravings (except a one-time craving for lasagna). I tried just taking half a Unisom and while I was able to keep food down, I felt that if I moved at all I would lose all the food that I had choked down. Oh well, Unisom is now FDA approved for morning sickness, so I guess it is "safe," and I am really getting to a point where I need to put on weight. I really wish I could eat without drugs.
*Speaking of putting on weight, I have gained about 13 pounds. I am now back up to my pre-pregnancy weight with Jared. Weight gain this time has been harder, probably because I am not eating fatty junior high cafeteria food everyday. Who would have thought that pregnancy would be a great weight loss program?
*I have had a TON of contractions. I don't feel any pain, just pressure, and they go away if I sit down, so its not too big of a concern. There are some days where I have to sit down almost all day to keep them at bay. At my prenatal appointment last week I mentioned this to the midwife and she said that as long as they go away when I sit down then I am ok. She also said since I didn't go into pre-term labor last time, I am not likely to this time either. I also mentioned to her that I was 3 cm dilated at 37 weeks last time, so she said my body is probably just doing the same thing this time. Last time I didn't even know I had had any contractions since they don't hurt, but this time I know what to look for, and so I have noticed them.
*Because of all of these contractions, the midwife also mentioned that is it unlikely that I will make it to my due date! That was the greatest news that I have EVER heard! That means I may only have 6 or 7 weeks left! I am not counting on anything though because with Jared starting at 37 weeks they said I could expect the baby any day and he was born 5 days early with the help of pitocin, but I was scared to death of everything that my body likely didn't go into labor on its own because of my fear.
*Speaking of fear, I just finished reading the book Hypnobirthing. It definitely has some good ideas, but I don't think that it is that amazing or that everything in the book is 100% true for all people. Essentially the whole idea is that you left go of all fear and relax and your body can go through labor with relative comfort. Like I mentioned before, with Jared my body had all the signs that it was ready to go into labor, but had problems with it because I was scared. I am not scared at all this time. A lot of the techniques in it I already knew or do naturally, so remembering them during labor is the trick. I don't think I will have a problem with labor. Running the 400 meter hurdles in high school pretty much taught me how to handle pain, plus with Jared it was super quick for a first pregnancy, so I guess our biggest worry is actually making it to the hospital on time!
*She is measuring about a week big right now (Jared measured a week small and was 8 lbs, 9 oz at 39 weeks), so I am slightly terrified of having a big baby. However, it is not unusual to measure larger with second pregnancies. My gestational diabetes test was lower than average so I don't have to worry about that at all. However, I was 10 lbs 7 oz at birth and Nate was 9 lbs 12 oz, so that is why I am concerned.
*Other than being sick, I feel normal. Nate took a picture yesterday (below) and I look huge compared to how I feel. I don't have any aches and pains or even feel that huge. I can breathe normally even though there is no more room below my rib cage. With Jared I had a fair amount of back/stomach pain from stretching muscles, but I guess because they have already stretched it doesn't hurt this time. This baby is also much less active than Jared was (Jared gave me visible bruises from his violent kicks) so that also probably helps things not to hurt as much.
Here is what is going on:
*I am STILL sick. Maybe because its a girl? I don't know. With Jared it seemed like the sickness was more intense, but it was gone by 28 weeks. Maybe this time I knew better how to manage it in the beginning so it didn't seem as bad, but I was actually sicker and that is why I am still sick. I take a full Unisom at night and that keeps food down, but I never feel like eating and nothing ever looks good. I definitely do NOT have pregnancy cravings (except a one-time craving for lasagna). I tried just taking half a Unisom and while I was able to keep food down, I felt that if I moved at all I would lose all the food that I had choked down. Oh well, Unisom is now FDA approved for morning sickness, so I guess it is "safe," and I am really getting to a point where I need to put on weight. I really wish I could eat without drugs.
*Speaking of putting on weight, I have gained about 13 pounds. I am now back up to my pre-pregnancy weight with Jared. Weight gain this time has been harder, probably because I am not eating fatty junior high cafeteria food everyday. Who would have thought that pregnancy would be a great weight loss program?
*I have had a TON of contractions. I don't feel any pain, just pressure, and they go away if I sit down, so its not too big of a concern. There are some days where I have to sit down almost all day to keep them at bay. At my prenatal appointment last week I mentioned this to the midwife and she said that as long as they go away when I sit down then I am ok. She also said since I didn't go into pre-term labor last time, I am not likely to this time either. I also mentioned to her that I was 3 cm dilated at 37 weeks last time, so she said my body is probably just doing the same thing this time. Last time I didn't even know I had had any contractions since they don't hurt, but this time I know what to look for, and so I have noticed them.
*Because of all of these contractions, the midwife also mentioned that is it unlikely that I will make it to my due date! That was the greatest news that I have EVER heard! That means I may only have 6 or 7 weeks left! I am not counting on anything though because with Jared starting at 37 weeks they said I could expect the baby any day and he was born 5 days early with the help of pitocin, but I was scared to death of everything that my body likely didn't go into labor on its own because of my fear.
*Speaking of fear, I just finished reading the book Hypnobirthing. It definitely has some good ideas, but I don't think that it is that amazing or that everything in the book is 100% true for all people. Essentially the whole idea is that you left go of all fear and relax and your body can go through labor with relative comfort. Like I mentioned before, with Jared my body had all the signs that it was ready to go into labor, but had problems with it because I was scared. I am not scared at all this time. A lot of the techniques in it I already knew or do naturally, so remembering them during labor is the trick. I don't think I will have a problem with labor. Running the 400 meter hurdles in high school pretty much taught me how to handle pain, plus with Jared it was super quick for a first pregnancy, so I guess our biggest worry is actually making it to the hospital on time!
*She is measuring about a week big right now (Jared measured a week small and was 8 lbs, 9 oz at 39 weeks), so I am slightly terrified of having a big baby. However, it is not unusual to measure larger with second pregnancies. My gestational diabetes test was lower than average so I don't have to worry about that at all. However, I was 10 lbs 7 oz at birth and Nate was 9 lbs 12 oz, so that is why I am concerned.
*Other than being sick, I feel normal. Nate took a picture yesterday (below) and I look huge compared to how I feel. I don't have any aches and pains or even feel that huge. I can breathe normally even though there is no more room below my rib cage. With Jared I had a fair amount of back/stomach pain from stretching muscles, but I guess because they have already stretched it doesn't hurt this time. This baby is also much less active than Jared was (Jared gave me visible bruises from his violent kicks) so that also probably helps things not to hurt as much.

Good luck!!! It will go great!!
ReplyDeleteI hope it goes quickly and easily. My second went fast, but she was still two weeks late!
ReplyDelete