Brad's Funeral

We held Brad's funeral on June 22, 2013 at the Best Western Lodge at the River's Edge in Orofino. My dad, sister, and I spoke. Here is what I shared.

My brother and I had an interesting relationship. We fought constantly, and we liked it. We loved to annoy, tease, and insult the other person. We also hit, punched, kicked, and pinched each other. However, we loved this and laughed about who could make the worst insult. This wasn’t something we did just when we were kids. It continued until after I had graduated from college and Brad from high school. My Dad always said the reason we couldn’t get along was because we were so similar. My brother and I had many of the same interests. We both loved dogs. We both loved photography. We both loved to grow plants. We both watched Star Trek. We both loved the outdoors and loved to go hiking.

For a few years when I was in college we would hike Teakean Butte every Christmas break. One time I remember specifically we started out about 1 or 2 in the afternoon. That winter there was a large snowfall. As we were hiking up the mountain, the snow kept getting deeper and deeper. I made Brad go first and break trail, which he had no problem with. When we actually decided to get along, we got along really well. By the time we got to the top of the mountain, the snow was up to our waists and it was almost dark. We headed back down the mountain quickly, with Brad being the brave one and going first. We reached the bottom where my Dad was waiting and concerned since it was completely dark. When I was in college, I would always want to go outside and go for a walk or hike when I came home. I could always count on Brad to come with me.


The last couple years, Brad and I had a more of a normal relationship. I think the birth of my son Jared was a peace offering between us. Brad was the baby of the family and he hadn’t been around very many babies. However, since the first time Brad met Jared, they had a special connection. Jared was fascinated with Brad, and Brad was a natural with Jared. Even when Jared was going through a bad phase of separation anxiety, he always let Brad hold him and play with him.

 The week before Brad died, my husband and I drove up from our home in Utah to visit my family. Brad was at home when we got there and he found some toy John Deere tractors that he had when he was a kid and Jared and him just sat on the floor and played tractors for a while. Jared loves to play with tractors and make tractor noises just like Brad did. Another similarity between Brad and Jared is their love of the outdoors. Brad loved to be outside in nature, and that is where Jared is happiest as well. The last few waking hours that Brad was alive he spent playing with Jared. Jared loves to turn on and off light switches, but he is too short to reach them. Brad followed Jared around the house and would lift him up to every light switch and let him turn it on and off. I am so glad that Jared had the opportunity to get to know his uncle Brad because they have many similarities. The last picture that we have of Brad is with Jared. Brad really wanted a picture with him before he went back to Moscow for the work week the first weekend we were here. I was just going to wait to take pictures until the next weekend when our whole family was together in Boise, however Brad didn’t live long enough to take that trip. I am so glad that we have that final picture of Brad with Jared so that even though Jared won’t remember his Uncle Brad, he can always know how much Brad loved him.

Here are some of the beautiful flower arrangements we received. I only remember who a few of them are from, and I unfortunately didn't have my DSLR so they aren't that high of quality.





I think this one was from my mom's siblings.



I am pretty sure this one was from Nate's family.

Comments