How we ended up moving to Idaho

Back during tax season, Nate decided that he was done with tax seasons and never seeing his wife and children for 3+ months of the year.  He never planned on being in public accounting his entire life, and with where he was at in his career, it just seemed like a good jumping off point.  Fast forward a couple months, we start doing improvements to the house to help it sell (minor things like replacing some outdated kitchen lighting, painting, etc., it really was in pretty good shape to begin with), and Nate starts looking for jobs.  He isn't too aggressive because we have things planned like our Bryce Canyon trip and other things that we want to do in the summer, so we figured we will move in the fall.

I spent my free time researching and looking online at homes and home builders.  I have always wanted to build a house (rather, have a house built for me) so I poured over floor plans and found a few I liked and Nate and I decided on one particular plan that we thought would fit our family really well.  We look at the different cities/subdivisions it was available in and make a spreadsheet (nerd alert!) comparing how much each would cost.  It happens to be that the most affordable subdivision in the northern area of Meridian also the perfect lot!  In fact, I described my dream lot, and then we looked, and it was there!  So, we scheduled a time to look at it when we went to visit my parents at the end of July.

We looked at the lot, and then looked at a model home of the plan we liked, and decided that it was too perfect to pass up so we put down money and the builder grated us a one month contingency so we could get our money back in case we couldn't sell our house, Nate couldn't find a job, etc.  Nate found several jobs he was interested in, but none of them worked out so he talked to his company and they were thrilled to have him stay on for another tax season and work remotely.  So, he still has one more tax season, but he will get to work at home so he can at least eat meals with us, and he doesn't have the commute time so he will have a few more hours a week to spend with us and/or sleep.

We listed our home after we got back from Idaho on Zillow and we had an offer over our asking price by the next day.  The next few weeks were filled with worrying about inspections, appraisals, etc. but everything worked out and we closed on September 27th.  We found a short-term apartment lease in Meridian that allowed dogs, but it didn't start until October 7th, so we rented our house back until then.  On October 8th, Nate drove a 24-foot Budget truck and I followed in our car all the way to Meridian and unloaded into our 990 square foot 2-bedroom apartment and storage unit.  Somehow, everything fits perfectly!  Our apartment is on the 3rd floor, which is a challenge with kids and dog (I am so excited to be able to just open the door again to let the dog go potty instead of having to take her all the way downstairs).  We have really enjoyed it so far and Jared loves his new school!

The original estimated date of completion they gave us back in August was February 3rd.  They are flying and I wouldn't be surprised if they are ahead of schedule by a couple weeks!

August 3rd
Our perfect lot!  NE facing, .25 acres, and on a curve so it has a huge backyard and very small front yard.

August 18th

Design studio!
August 18th

September 23rd

September 23rd

September 26th

September 26th

October 6th

October 6th

October 7th
We left Utah the next day at 6:30 am


October 8th


October 16th
Jared in his future bedroom!

October 16th
Nicole in her future bedroom!

October 16th
Upstairs in the loft looking towards the master bedroom.

October 16th
In the Master bedroom looking towards the loft

October 16th
Master bathroom/closet

October 16th
Hallway to kids bedrooms

October 16th
Standing in kitchen looking at living/dining.

October 16th
Standing in dining room.

Our huge backyard!

October 16th
Back of the house.  Our yard goes further than where I am standing!

October 16th

October 21st


October 23rd

October 23rd

October 26th


October 30th
Nate's office

October 30th
Entry/hall

October 30th
View of living room from kitchen

October 30th
How Nicole looks at the house.

October 30th
Jared brought his camera too!

October 30th
Living room.  I am SO EXCITED to get a fireplace!  Excited beyond words literally!  I LOVE fire!!!!

October 30th
Kitchen/pantry

October 30th
Dining/Kitchen

October 30th
Stairs

October 30th
Loft

October 30th
Master bedroom

October 30th
Master bath!

October 30th
Master vanity (double sinks!)

October 30th
Master shower

October 30th
Master water closet (I am ridiculously excited about this too!)

October 30th
Master closet.  I am not sure what to do with this much space!

October 30th
Upstairs hall

October 30th
Nicole's room

October 30th
Jared's room

October 30th
Guest room/sewing room

Comments